Yankee Doodle Dandy — A Musical
Book by Chip Deffaa
Music and Lyrics by George M. Cohan (and others)
(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools, Middle Schools/Junior High Schools, Church Groups, Youth Theatres)
The story of the rise of George M. Cohan to the Broadway stage is told in this exuberant musical. Cohan rose from poverty to become a top star, playwright, songwriter and producer, also honored with the Congressional Medal of Honor. YANKEE DOODLE DANDY relates his inspiring all-American success story, filled with such immortal Cohan greats as “Give My Regards To Broadway,” “You’re A Grand Old Flag”, “Harrigan,” “Mary Is A Grand Old Name,” and “I’m A Yankee Doodle Dandy.”
You can use 33 different actors to play the 33 different characters and you can also have a chorus as big or as small as you want. 18 of the 46 musical numbers in this show feature members of the chorus, so there’s plenty for the chorus to do, and gives the show its big feel. If you’re planning a really big production — at a regional theater or community theater, or at a college, high school, or middle school — and you would like to use a big cast, this show is perfect for you, because it has lots of life, lots of color, and lots of characters! However, it is also entirely possible to do this show well with a smaller cast, of 20 or so actors, with “doubling” of roles. The score is rich with Cohan favorites, and even includes a couple of specialties by Irving Berlin, who idolized Cohan.
- 33 speaking parts(20M 13F) + chorus.
- About 2 hours.
- ORDER # 3066.
Available for production by ALL producing groups.
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3066a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Vocal Book in PDF format — Order #3066b : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score in PDF format– Order #3066c : $30.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3066d : Royalty terms quoted on application. CLICK BELOW
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3066e : Royalty terms quoted on application. CLICK BELOW
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application. CLICK BELOW
- LBTlicenseapp to download a PDF version of the Performance License Application. (There is also a copy of the application in the printed catalog.) (We are working on an ONLINE PDF filler form)
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Chisago Lakes Area Schools Summer Youth Programs — Summer 2017
- Crystal Sea Drama Company — Texas
PHOTO from the Premiere Production:
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
YANKEE DOODLE DANDY
A Rousing Musical Comedy in Two Acts
Based on the life of George M. Cohan
Written and Arranged by
Lyrics and Music by
GEORGE M. COHAN (and others)
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Yankee Doodle Dandy is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
Available exclusively from