The Yearning Season — Premiere Play File
by J.D. Newman
Jacques and Leigh have served Monsieur and Madame as farmhand and domestic servant throughout their adolescence. Upon the death of their employers, they are bequeathed: the farm to Jacques, and money for a lady’s education to Leigh, both still young and needing assistance to find their stations in life. In a moment of youthful willfulness, they switch inheritances and set aside their feelings for one another. Rochelle, a young lady from town, comes to Leigh for shelter and the two of them work the farm until Rochelle reveals a secret that changes everything Leigh believed about herself. The story, a classic young-love triangle, is based loosely on the Biblical story of Jacob, Leah, and Rachel, and set in the late 19th Century. The dialogue is written in verse; blank verse for those from town and free verse for those from the country. It could be easily produced in an intimate black-box theatre or an improvised found space. PREMIERE PLAY FILE
- 2f 1m
- 1 interior/exterior
- about 90 minutes
- Setting and costumes: late 19th Century
- Order # 3125
Available for ALL producing groups SOON.
- Perusal Pages File Available here: Yearning Season PERUSAL (The PDF file contains the first half of the play along with all background information.
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASING REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address) Before we ship any rehearsal material we will need your performance dates, the name of your organization and the theatre where you will perform.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3125a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production) This script includes the sheet music for the folk songs that are sung by the characters in this play.
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3125d : $70
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3125e : $60
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Finalist and Premiere at Red Rocks College in Denver by Colorado Dramatists.
- Reading at the Orem Public Library, Orem, Utah — 2012
- Closed reading at the Open Eye Theater, Margaretville, New York — 2008
- Reading at Red Rocks Community College in Denver by Colorado Dramatists — 1994
- Reading as a finalist in the Rocky Mountain Theatre Association playwriting competition at Weber State University in Ogden, UT — 1994
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
a play by
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“The Yearning Season is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
from the catalog of