Take The Mountain Down — A Prodigal Musical
Book, Music and Lyrics by Marvin Payne & Steven Kapp Perry
Concept by R. Don Oscarson
a finger pickin’ parable of the Prodigal Son
(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools, Church Groups, Youth Theatres)
“Mountain” is the musical telling of the parable of the prodigal son in the bluegrass music style. The Prodigal Son becomes The Prodigal Daughter. What happens when a wayward young woman needs to hear the sweet story of the Prodigal Son, and the only folks who love her enough to tell it are the players in a bluegrass band she once deserted? On an autumn afternoon in Appalachia, the Potluck Social String Band takes a break from their concert in the park and weaves the timeless tale of redemption and forgiveness around their former bandmate with the strings of guitars, banjos, fiddles, bass, and mandolin. However, the story can be told by actors with a separate band, or actors who can play instruments, or a groups of actors and a guy with a guitar. Anything is possible in this flexible musical that will Take The Mountain Down and, at the same time, bring the house down!
A perfect show for any group that want’s a rip-roaring, yet thoughtful time in the theatre!
- 3M 2W
- About 90 minutes
- ORDER # 3055
Available for production by ALL producing groups.
- The PERUSAL PAGES file is in PDF format and contains the first half of the script for this musical: TakeMDownPERUSAL
Demo mp3 files: (OR you can purchase the DEMO CD or DVD in the next section, below)
Right below you will find complete versions of TWO of the 19 songs from this show for you to hear:
EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3055a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Vocal Book in PDF format — Order #3055b : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Piano-Vocal Score not available.
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3055d : Royalty terms quoted on application.
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3055e : Royalty terms quoted on application.
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application.
- LBTlicenseapp to download a PDF version of the Performance License Application. (There is also a copy of the application in the Catalog.) (We are working on an ONLINE PDF filler form)
- Demo CD — Order #3055f : $14.00 (This includes Media Mail postage to you. See BELOW)
- Orchestrations not available. The band/instrumentalists will use the lead sheets (Vocal Book)
- PerformanceTraks CD — Order #3055j: $200.00 flat fee.
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
The CD of the ORIGINAL CAST ALBUM is also available: $14.00 (CLICK HERE)
PLUS — as an added bonus the DVD of the Original Production as aired on PBS is available: (HERE)
- Filmed for KBYU Television — 2007
- Premiered at BYU’s Education Week– 2007
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
POTLUCK SOCIAL STRING BAND
P R E S E N T S
TAKE THE MOUNTAIN DOWN
(A FINGERPICKIN’ PARABLE)
Book, Music, and Lyrics by
Marvin Payne & Steven Kapp Perry
Creative concept by R. Don Oscarson
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.) If the actors do NOT play their own instruments you may remove the words “THE POTLUCK SOCIAL STRING BAND PRESENTS”)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Take The Mountain Down is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
From the catalog of