Stones — A Play
by J. Scott Bronson
ALTARS — 2M1W. Open Setting
TOMBS — 2M 1W. Open Setting. Time for each: Just under an hour.
(For production by Professional Groups, College/University Groups, Community Groups, High Schools, Youth Theatres)
STONES is the recipient of the 2001 Award for Drama from the Association for Mormon Letters. “STONES is a perfect example of the three keys to playwrighting: Story, Character, Dialogue. Both acts thousands of years apart in real time, appear outwardly to tell two different stories. But the similarities in the themes of faith and family reach across the years to bind the play into one coherent story that is relevant today and will always be as long as humans walk the Earth.”
ALTARS is the story of Abraham, Isaac and Sarai. TOMBS is the story of Mary, Jesus and Joseph. Each story is told in simple terms, presentation-wise. No elaborate costumes or setting, the production is intended to focus on the storytelling: the conflicts within, and the character relationships; along with the symbolism that is inherent in these parable-like tales. These plays can be presented separately but it is recommended by us and preferred by the author that they be performed in tandem.
- About 100 minutes
- ORDER # 2020
Available for ALL producing groups.
- Perusal Pages File Available here: StonesPERUSAL (The PDF file contains one half of each act (1/2 Altars and 1/2 of Tombs), along with all the pertinent script and background information.
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASING REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address)
- Script in PDF format — Order #2020a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2020d : $70
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #2020e : $60
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Perusal Package (Printed script and score on rental) — Order #2020g : $6.00 (includes Priority Mail charges on rental for 15 days)
- Music CD (music composed for the play’s intervals) will soon be available, please inquire.
EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Escondido, California — 2008
- Covey Center for the Arts, Provo — 2008
- Center Street Theatre (Nauvoo Theatrical Society) Orem, Utah — 2003
- Little Brown Theatre (Redbeard Productions) Springville, Utah — 2001
- Staged Reading — Provo Theatre Company — 2000
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Stones is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
NEW NOVELIZATION of this tremendous story
available SOON (probably by the end of 2016)
This title is available exclusively from