Puzzles — a play
by J.D. Newman
(Perfect for Professional, College/University, Community, High School, Middle School, TYA and other Youth Theatre Groups)
Harper, a boy of 11 or 12, strives to solve the puzzles of his fractured life. His father died in a car accident, but Harper struggles to understand what death means. An older boy tries to help Harper come to terms with his loss, yet furthers Harper’s belief that his father will return. Harper must also help his grandfather, a recovering stroke victim, to find his alphabet and to connect with him the way his father did. All the while, Harper, himself, struggles with the puzzle of autism. PREMIERE PLAY FILE
- 90 minutes
- 3m, 2f
- Order #3124
Available for ALL producing groups.
- Perusal Pages File Available here: PuzzlesPERUSAL (The PDF file contains the first half of the play along with all background information.
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASING REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address) Before we ship any rehearsal material we will need your performance dates, the name of your organization and the theatre where you will perform.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3124a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3124d : $65
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3124e : $55
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Reading by Wasatch Theatre Company in South Salt Lake, UT in — 2003
- Finalist at the Bonderman National Playwriting Symposium in Indianapolis, which featured a professional reading — 2001
- Selected for the AATE Unpublished Play Reading Project — 2000
- Full reading at Southern Utah University as a finalist in the Rocky Mountain Theatre Association Playwriting Competition — 2000
- Reading by Ground Zero Theatre Company in Dallas, TX, — 1999
- Reading at the University of Texas at Austin, — 1998
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
a play by
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Puzzles is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
from the catalog of