One Night With Fanny Brice — A One Woman Musical
Written by Chip Deffaa
Fanny Brice worked her way up from singing on street corners for pennies as a kid, to burlesque, to Broadway… to becoming America’s highest-paid singing comedienne. She fell for a dashing confidence man, Nicky Arnstein–and when she introduced her immortal “My Man,” the whole country knew she was singing about him.
There’s no better showcase to be found anywhere for a strong triple-threat actress than ONE NIGHT WITH FANNY BRICE. The score mixes fierce torch songs (like “My Man,” “After You’ve Gone,” “Baby Won’t You Please Come Home”) with irresistible comedy numbers (“Second-Hand Rose,” “Oh, How I Hate that Fellow Nathan”), ragtime (“That Mysterious Rag”) and vintage pop (“Lovie Joe,” “Rose of Washington Square”). The actress gets to sing, to dance; to go from laughs to pathos, triumphs to heartbreaks… and back again.
Everyone loves a good rags-to-riches story.
ASCAP award-winner Chip Deffaa’s dynamic one-woman show, ONE NIGHT WITH FANNY BRICE has received rave reviews everywhere. Brice’s story had previously inspired the musical “Funny Girl.”
As The New York Times noted in its glowing review of ONE NIGHT WITH FANNY BRICE “‘Funny Girl’ was a whitewash. ‘One Night…’ delves deeper into her story.”
Jennifer Farrar of the Associated Press called ONE NIGHT WITH FANNY BRICE “a charming new musical…. Written, directed and arranged by Chip Deffaa, the solo show chronologically covers Brice’s immigrant childhood and long career in show business, and her tumultuous love life with faithless con artist Nick Arnstein. Deffaa has distilled Brice’s busy life and career into a well-paced two-hour show.”
The Washington Examiner proclaimed: “Deffaa’s script neatly describes [Brice’s era], including many details about Fanny’s life, making her rags-to-riches story very credible…..One of the nicest elements of ‘One Night With Fanny Brice’ is the way Deffaa brings Fanny’s historical contemporaries to life: Flo Ziegfeld, Eddie Cantor, Gypsy Rose Lee, Billy Rose, W.C. Fields, Al Jolson and all the lowlifes associated with Nicky Arnstein, Fanny’s one true love.”
The Sun Gazette Newspapers raved: “ONE NIGHT WITH FANNY BRICE delivers what it promises…. This may be as close as devotees will ever get to Fanny Brice.”
And Joe Franklin—Bloomberg Radio–called the show “Fresh and impressive! A true Golden-Age-of-Show-Business love story. The audience was exhilarated! A personal triumph for author Chip Deffaa…”
Critic Daryl Glenn wrote in New York’s Nightlife Exchange of the original Off-Broadway production, “The audience seemed transported.”
- one-woman show
- simple unit set
- 90 minutes
- Piano Accompaniment only (A Violin part is also available)
- Order # 3078
- NOTICE: One small section of the play has a repetition of coarse language that is not entirely family friendly. There is an edit provided in the script if your company needs that option.
Available for all productions groups
by April of 2014
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Do not purchase rehearsal materials or pay for royalties until you have performance clearance.)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3078a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- NO VOCAL BOOK available for this title.
- Piano-Vocal Score Order #3078c : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3078d : Royalty terms quoted on application.
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3078e : Royalty terms quoted on application.
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Violin Part — Order #3078h: $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Original Cast CD — $13.99
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Armonk Players — March 2016
- Open-Eye Theater, Margaretville, New York (2016)
- Phoenix Stage Company, Naugatuck, Connecticut — August 2015 (PSC2015Photos)
- Jewish Theatre Grand Rapids — January 2015
Sarah Evangeline LaCroix, as Fanny Brice in “One Night with Fanny Brice” produced by the Jewish Theatre Grand Rapids
- Open-Eye Theater, Margaretville, New York (2014)
- The 13th Street Repertory Company, NYC (twice) — 2013 (April & June)
- NYC at St. Luke’s Theater (Off-Broadway) — 2010
- Phoenix Stage Company, Naugatuck, Connecticut — 2010
- American Century Theater, Arlington, Virginia — 2010
- Premiere production at the Rosen Theater, Wayne, New Jersey — 2010
Deffaa has also written a colorful full-scale musical, THE FANNY BRICE STORY which has more than two dozen characters; it can be performed by anywhere from 15 players (with some “doubling”) to 40 or more players. That show, too, is published and licensed by Leicester Bay Theatricals. CLICK HERE to view THE FANNY BRICE STORY.
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
One Night With FANNY BRICE
A Solo Musical
Written and Arranged by
With songs from the repertoire of Fanny Brice
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play. (In a press release all type, will of course, be the same size.)
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“One Night With Fanny Brice is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
From the catalog of