Liberation — A Short Play
by J.D. Newman
(Perfect for College/University, Community, High School, Middle School and TYA and other Youth Theatre Groups)
Four French maidens, hiding from the occupying German army and concealing their identities from each other, capture the soldier who discovers them. One of the young women insists on showing the soldier the stories of misfortune that brought them to their current condition. They enact their stories in metaphor, drawing on a Greek myth, a Biblical story, and the legend of a local saint. When the German soldier reveals that the village has been liberated, he asks to be liberated by death rather than facing the shame of what his people have done to the French people. The four maidens each are seeking a liberation of their own.
- 4f 1m
- About 40 minutes
- 1 interior of a barn
- Order # 3122
Available for ALL producing groups!
- Perusal Pages File Available here: LiberationPERUSAL (The PDF file contains the first half of the play along with all background information.
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASING REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us.) Before we ship any rehearsal material we will need your performance dates, the name of your organization and the theatre where you will perform.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3122a : $15.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3122d : $35
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3122e : $30
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Premiere: Highland High School, Salt Lake City, Utah — 1993
- Received the Rocky Mountain Theatre Association’s Doug Christensen Playwriting Award 1992
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
a short play by
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Liberation is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
from the catalog of