Irving Berlin: In Person — A Bio-musical
Written and Arranged by Chip Deffaa
Music and Lyrics by Irving Berlin
(For Professional, College/University, Community production)
ASCAP award-winner Chip Deffaa–creator of such acclaimed solo shows as George M. Cohan Tonight! and One Night with Fanny Brice –has now written Irving Berlin: In Person.
Berlin was a small boy when his family–with little more than the clothes they were wearing–fled Russia to escape religious persecution. He never had much formal education. He never learned to read or write music. But he gave the world songs that will live forever. This is the first one-man show ever to be written and published about Irving Berlin. For a strong triple-threat performer, it’s a wonderful showcase. This dynamic solo show includes 40 Berlin songs–some famous, some rarities and rediscoveries; all irresistible.
Irving Berlin was the most successful single songwriter in history. He wrote more hits, and made more money, than any of his colleagues. He worked with–and wrote for–the greatest entertainers of the 20th century. In many ways, his life is a quintessential American success story.
But, if truth be told, he was a complex man; and his life was often far from happy. Now, for the first time, his life story is being told–forthrightly and frankly, and set to his own unforgettable music–in a vivid one-man show. Featuring 40 terrific Berlin songs.
This candid portrait of an inconic American songwriter–a terrfic showcase for an outstanding singer/dancer/actor–is the first one-man show about Irving Berlin. We’re taking inquiries now from those who might be interested in presenting or performing this dynamic solo show.
- 1M 1PianoPlayer
- About 90 mins
- Open Stage with props and furniture
- ORDER #3115
PURCHASE REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address)
- Script in PDF format — Order #3115a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- Vocal Book in PDF format — NO VOCAL BOOK AVAILABLE FOR THIS PRODUCTION
- Piano-Vocal Score in PDF format — Order #3115c : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3115d : Royalty terms quoted on application.
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3115e : Royalty terms quoted on application.
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application.
- LBTlicenseapp to download a PDF version of the Performance License Application. (There is also a copy of the application in the Catalog.) (We are working on an ONLINE PDF filler form)
- Original Cast Album — Order #3115f : $14.99
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- 13th Street Repertory Theatre, NYC — Staged Reading 2014
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
IRVING BERLIN: IN PERSON
Written and Arranged by
Music and Lyrics by
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Irving Berlin: In Person is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”