Galileo’s Pendulum — TYA
by Michael Megliola
(TYA, Children’s Theatre, Amateur, Professional, Educational)
Galileo never did most of the things for which many people give him credit. He did not drop stones off the leaning tower of Pisa or invent the telescope. By the time Galileo came along, people had also discovered, forgotten, then rediscovered that the earth orbits the sun. Galileo, however, did something much more important, courageous, and dangerous than any of those things — he stood up for the freedom of thought. He demanded that academic, religious and political leaders accept scientific methods. He dared to challenge censorship at a time when people who spoke out were sometimes tortured or killed. Galileo was forced to recant his beliefs, at least publicly, but by then the truth was out. This script was written for children to perform for young audiences 7 and older, but it is possible that adults or teens could perform for young audiences, as well.
- 21 male, 4 female (any character can be played by either gender) Also multiple roles can be assigned to a single actor to create a cast as small as 9 or 10 players
- About 1 hour.
- Several fluid settings
- Order #3131
Available for ALL producing groups by November 15, 2015.
- Perusal Pages File Available here: Galileo’sPendulumPERUSAL (The PDF file contains the first act of the play along with all background information.
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASING REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address) Before we ship any rehearsal material we will need your performance dates, the name of your organization and the theatre where you will perform.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3131a : $20.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production)
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3131d : $50
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3131e : $40
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
a play by
A New Hampshire Theatre Project Young People’s Playscript
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Galileo’s Pendulum is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
Other Plays in the New Hampshire Theatre Project Young People’s Playscript Series
from the catalog of