El Bully — A Spanglish play with songs
Script and Lyrics by Joe Rosenberg
Music and Lyrics by C. Michael Perry
Additional Music by Kim Paice, Andrea Docter & Jared Rounds
(This play is perfect for Adult actors performing for young people, and young people performing for themselves. Upper Elementary aged students though Middle School and Junior High ages would enjoy this play.)
This play has Spanish. This play has English. This play has them both together in the same sentence: Spanglish! In school, an English speaking tough-guy bully falls head over heels in love for an Hispanic girl. All goes well until he becomes victimized by a lack of Spanish language skills, simply because he doesn’t know that “prima” in Spanish means “cousin”. His prior treatment of his fellow students is also a hindrance for him to be understood by them — no matter how much he longs to be understood. But, enlightenment , and compassionate treatment bring a happy ending. The play has seven song lyrics ready for musical improvisation by your cast. OR you can purchase the Piano-Vocal Score that includes music for all of them.
- Cast of 7 principals (2m 2f 3either) + extras
- Simple space setting
- Contemporary costumes
- About 40 minutes
- Order # 3169
REVIEWS and COMMENTS:
- Perusal Pages File available elbullyperusal (The PDF file contains the first half of the play along with all background information.)
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASING REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account), EMAIL us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address. Before we ship any rehearsal material we will need your performance dates, the name of your organization and the theatre where you will perform.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3169a : $15.00 (will be sent to you by email, from which you will be authorized to copy for your production) BUTTON SOON
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3169d : $40.00 BUTTON SOON
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3169e : $35.00 BUTTON SOON
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
- Piano-Vocal Score — (Optional) Order #3169c : #15.00 BUTTON SOON
EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Other productions have been done but the records of them have been lost.
- Spanish Fork High School, Utah — 1996
- PREMIERE Teatro Bilingue in Texas — 1995
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show (the ‘Music by’ billing is only to be used if you use the music already written for the show,otherwise give your composers credit.):
a short play with songs
C. Michael Perry
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“El Bully is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
from the catalog of