Awakening Galatea — play
by J.D. Newman
(Perfect for Professional, College/University, and Community groups)
The play is based on Ovid’s story of Pygmalion. Pygmalion is an idealistic sculptor who creates Galatea, his statue of a perfect woman. At Venus’ bidding, the seven Muses cause the creator to fall in love with his creation. The Muse of Poetry falls in love with Pygmalion and begs the Goddess of Love to allow her to appear to him and steer his passion away from the lifeless statue. Venus curses the Muse for her temerity and casts the spirit Muse into the statue of Galatea. When the other Muses beg for mercy for their sister, Venus permits them to lead the pair on a quest that will bring Galatea to life, let Poetry experience humanity, and render Pygmalion capable of selfless love.
- 8f 1m
- 90 minute
- 1 fluid location from Pygmalion’s workshop
- Order #3121
Available for ALL producing groups SOON.
- Perusal Pages File Available here: AwakeningGalateaPERUSAL (The PDF file contains the first half of the play along with all background information.
- EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
PURCHASING REHEARSAL MATERIALS:
(Any PDF purchased will be emailed to your email address — if you need to provide that to us (not the one on your PayPal account?), email us. CDs will be mailed to a snail mail address) Before we ship any rehearsal material we will need your performance dates, the name of your organization and the theatre where you will perform.
- Script in PDF format — Order #3121a : $25.00 (from which you will be authorized to copy for your production) This script includes the sheet music for the folk songs that are sung by the characters in this play.
- First Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3121d : $65
- Second Performance Amateur/Educational Royalty — Order #3121e : $55
- Professional Royalties will be quoted upon application
EMAIL us for rights and information. Be sure to give us anticipated performance dates and the address of your group and, if different, your theatre. Please also include a contact name and phone number.
- Raritan Valley Community College , Branchburg, New Jersey — Raritan’s first entry in the American College Theatre Festival (ACTF) — 2007
- PREMIERE: Highland High School, Salt Lake City Utah — 2006
- Equity reading — Mystic Theatre Company, Union, New Jersey — 2002
- University of Texas Remembrance through the Performing Arts, Austin — 1999
- Colorado Dramatists in Denver — 1998
- Reading in Idaho as a finalist in the Rocky Mountain Theatre Association Playwriting Competition, College of Southern Idaho, Twin Falls, ID — 1997
The following is how the credits should read in all programs, posters, fliers, handbills and other promotional advertising for the show:
a play by
NOTE: The names of the Playwright(s), Composer, Lyricist, and Bookwriter shall be equal in size, type, coloring, boldness, and prominence. No billing shall appear in type larger or more prominent than the billing to the Authors except for the title of the play.
THIS NOTICE MUST APPEAR IN ALL PROGRAMS, ON ALL POSTERS AND PUBLICITY MATERIALS AND INTERNET ADVERTISING/WEBPAGES FOR THE PLAY:
“Awakening Galatea is presented through special arrangement with Leicester Bay Theatricals. All authorized materials are also supplied by LBT, www.leicesterbaytheatricals.com”
from the catalog of